CS 161 - Introduction to Computer Science I

Winter 2019: MWF 10 - 10:50am, WNGR 151 & 2 - 2:50pm, LINC 100

Who Are My TAs?

Alex Niebur

Bonjour! My name is Alexander Niebur, but just call me Alex. I am a senior Computer Science Systems student in the pro-school program. This is my third year as a TA and I am readily available to help you succeed! I started studying Computer Science during my senior year of high school and whilst I struggled at first, I managed to get a hang of it halfway through the year. This class might seem daunting at first, and if you need help, send me an email, and I will find time in my schedule to assist you, even on weekends! Besides Computer Science, I also volunteer at Orange Media Network as a radio DJ alongside a post-production video editor for some of the projects we work on there. It is a cool place to get some hands on experience with professional audio and video equipment, so feel free to ask about it!

Phillip Mestas

Hi, my name is Phillip Mestas. I'm a TA for CS. I am from Portland, OR, and I attended Centennial High School. I'm a second year CS student in the systems option. This summer I will be interning at Google in Mountian View, CA! I have previous expierance in the OSU Robotics club, and I am involved in research along with extracurricular activities here at OSU. I love talking about anything CS related or OSU related, so please come talk to me in my office hours or email me. I love hearing about what students are doing, and I'm happy to share my experiances with you and help you create your own.

Thang Kim (LK)

Hello, my name is Thang Kim but I go by LK. This is my third term being a TA, and I look foward to working with you all. I am a junior doing the applied option with a business and entrepreneurship minor. I will be working at Nike this Summer! Y'all can ask me about anything except for discounts. I'm a TA for CS. The person above me is really smart.

Louis Duvoisin

Hey all, my name is Louis, I'm a third year CS student from Portland. Something interesting about me is I hate writing bios.

Jesse Chick

Hi all, Jesse Chick here. I graduated from Tualatin High School in 2016 and am currently a junior in the Honors College and computer science professional school. I am currently involved in two reseach projects which are aimed at applying machine learning to computer security systems. Feel free to ask me questions about this class, your Honors thesis, machine leanring/AI, the MECOP program--I will be starting my second internship this summer--or anything else which might come up. My favorite aspect of this job is getting to meet and work with a new crew of students every term so don't be a stranger!

Johannes Freischuetz

Hi, my name is Johannes. I am a second year student in Computer Science doing the systems option. If you have any questions send me an email.

Yuhang Chen (Tony)

Hi. I am Tony! I am a sophomore student of Computer Science. I like coding a lot and this is my first year TA. I got A in all my 16x classes. Welcome to ask me questions!

Yipeng Song (Roger)

Hi! I am Yipeng Song, and you can call me Roger. I am a Graduate CS student with a focus in CS education and software engineering. I love watching sports and making new friends. I had two internships before, one at Intel Corporation, and one at a Nike agency company. In addition, I used to be the Co-president for the Chinese Association at OSU, holding events for up to 800 people. As a TA for CS16X courses, I wish I could help you be a better programmer and be more confident for your future CS classes. Besides, I am able to speak either English or Chinese during demo sessions.

Lucas Campos-Davis

Hi, my name is Lucas and I'm a fourth year CS major. When I came to OSU I had absolutely no programming experience. I'm from Hood River, Oregon but surprisingly I don't windsurf or kiteboard. In my free time I enjoy spending time outdoors hiking, camping, and running. For the days that outside is less than fun, I enjoy watching Netflix, playing a variety of video games, and reading (My current favorite series is The Codex Alera).

Matthew Sessions

Hi everyone, I am a Linux enthusiast and a Junior in Computer Science Systems. I look forward to seeing everyone's progression through the term. Will gladly help students with Linux. More stuff here: CS161.

Claire Cahill

Hi! My name is Claire Cahill and I'm a third year Computer Science student with a focus in Simulation and Game Programming. I am the co-president of Oregon State's ACM-W Chapter, a club supporting women in information technology. I'm from El Dorado Hills, California and I enjoy hanging out with friends, listening to music, and reading. Ask me to show you a picture of my dog, she's really cute.

Min Chew

Hi class! My name is Min and I am a second year CS Applied major with a minor in New Media Communications. Currently, I am thinking of focusing on AI and Mobile App Development (specifically in security) for my Applied path. I am from Penang, Malaysia so I can speak a number of languages. However, I am only "fluent" in Mandarin and Cantonese. Outside of CS, I love cooking + baking, hitting the gym, and taking long relaxing walks!

Cheng Xie

Hi all. My name is Cheng Xie. I'm junior in CS system major. If you have any questions,feel free to ask me.I'm very happy to answer your questions!

Calvin Gagliano

Hi, my name is Calvin Gagliano. I’m a third year CS systems student and the secretary and treasurer for OSU’s ACM chapter, which is basically computer science club. This summer, I will be a SWE intern at Microsoft, which I’m extremely excited about. If you have any questions related to CS or are interested in joining ACM, please feel free to shoot me an email.