CS 161 - Introduction to Computer Science I

Winter 2020: MWF 2 - 2:50 p.m., LINC 228

Who Are Our TAs?

Sabrina Jesmin

Hi! I am Sabrina Jesmin. I am doing my Ph.D. in CS and Graduate Teaching Assistant for this course. Photography and painting is my hobby. My greatest joy lies to see you become great coders. I will be there for any help regarding the course issues. Best of luck for the course!

Yipeng Song (Roger)

Hi! I am Yipeng Song, and I go by Roger. I am a Graduate CS student with a focus on CS education and software engineering. I love watching sports and making new friends. I feel grateful to be enrolled in the CS 16X series for the last three years and have a chance to teach 161 last term. I wish I could help you to be a better programmer and a better person overall.

Megan Black

Hello! My name is Megan Black and I am a second-year Computer Science student focusing on a mix of bioinformatics and security with a music minor on the side. I am from Portland, Oregon and outside of CS, I love music, gaming, and hanging out with my cat. Feel free to shoot me an email if you're stuck on anything in this class, CS 161 can be challenging and move fast but I know you can do it!

Erick Branner

Hi all! My name is Erick Branner and I am a second year Applied Computer Science student from Sherwood, Oregon. I am currently involved in undergraduate research related to machine understanding of music. Aside from CS, I enjoy photography -- I shoot mainly sports for The Daily Barometer, Oregon State University's student newspaper. I look forward to working with y'all!

Jesse Chick

Hi all, Jesse Chick here. I graduated from Tualatin High School in 2016 and am currently a junior in the Honors College and computer science professional school. I am currently involved in two reseach projects which are aimed at applying machine learning to computer security systems. Feel free to ask me questions about this class, your Honors thesis, machine leanring/AI, the MECOP program--I will be starting my second internship this summer--or anything else which might come up. My favorite aspect of this job is getting to meet and work with a new crew of students every term so don't be a stranger!

Louis Duvoisin

Hey all, my name is Louis, I'm a third year CS student from Portland. Something interesting about me is I hate writing bios.

Jessica Garcia

Greetings! My name is Jessica, and I am a second year Computer Science student. In my free time, I enjoy traveling, playing volleyball, bowling, and hiking. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about CS, getting involved with undergrad research, or studying abroad; I would be happy to help! Looking forward to working with you this term.

Miguel Gaspar

Hi everyone, I'm Miguel Gaspar, and a junior in computer science (applied option) with a minor in business and entrepreneurship. I still remember when I took this class having no experience in coding at all. So, whether or not this is the first coding class you'll take, we, all TAs, are here for you to succeed! Please don't be afraid to ask questions! I'm looking forward to a great term!

Shaurya Gaur

Hi everyone! My name is Shaurya Gaur and I'm a first-year Applied CS student in the Honors College focusing on Artificial Intelligence and Data Science pursuing Business and Math minors on the side. Outside of this class, I'm the Secretary for the West Side Area Council, and I'm currently doing research on using machine learning to make a music playlist to increase productivity. In my free time, I'm a big fan of F1 racing, music and movies. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions - I'm excited to work with all of you!

Laura Jiang

Hi! I'm Laura, a second-year computer science major with a custom applied plan. I'm very excited to also be interning at Microsoft this upcoming summer. I'm also involved with ACM-W, a club supporting women in computing, and a part of the Grace Hopper Scholarship team, raising money to send OSU EECS students to the Grace Hopper Conference in October 2020. Feel free to shoot me an email if you ever have any questions; I'm excited to work with everyone this term!

Thang Kim (LK)

Greetings all, my name is Thang Kim but I go by LK. This is my 6th term being a TA. I am a senior doing the applied option with a business and entrepreneurship minor. Feel free to ask lots of questions, and I look forward to working with you all!.

Jason O'Brien

Hi! My name is Jason O'Brien and I am a senior studying Computer Science with the Computer Systems option. I have a passion in app and game development. Feel free to ask me anything! CS161 is going to be a lot of fun!

Lucas Pichette

Hello, I'm Lucas Pichette. I'm a 2018 graduate from Sam Barlow High School, currently a second-year at OSU, and I had very little programming experience going into my major as a computer scientist. My focus is in cyber security, but I'm a fan of almost anything computer science related. TAs and www.learncpp.com are what saved my rear in CS161 and CS162, I encourage the use of both of these resources!!

Maddie Smith

As a second year Honors student, I am working to complete my degrees in Applied Computer Science and Sustainability. Outside of school, I am the CFO of the Beta Epsilon chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta (my sorority). I have played intramural sports every term at OSU and I love to live a balanced, active life. I've lived in California, Oregon, and Washington, and Oregon is by far my favorite location due to the weather, landscape, and culture. I am eager for the opportunity to answer your questions and work through problems with you this term. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Zachary Taylor

Hey everyone, I'm Zach. I am currently a third-year student here at OSU majoring in both math and computer science with a focus on security. More specifically, I am interested in the mathematical side of cryptography and how quantum computers will play into this field in the future. When I'm not busy doing homework at the library, you can find me skiing, rock climbimg, or at a metal concert. If you have any questions, feel free to stop by my office hours and ask!

Austin Wilmoth

Hello, my name is Austin and I am a senior in computer science. I enjoy helping people so feel free to come by with any questions. Outside of computer science, I am part of the OSU Music Production Collective where I produce many types of music from punk/emo to lo-fi hip hop.

Cheng Xie

Hi all. My name is Cheng Xie. I'm junior in CS system major. If you have any questions,feel free to ask me.I'm very happy to answer your questions!

Arthur York

My name is Arthur York, I am a junior majoring in computer science with the Systens option. I have been doing molecular simulation research with a chemical engineer for two years and have been a TA for CS16X for one and a half years. If you have any questions about research or computer science at OSU feel free to ask!

Junze Zhang

Hi all, my name is Junze Zhang, but you can just call me Jun. I am a junior CS student with the applied option. I am from Fuzhou, China and I can speak Mandarin if needed. I like basketball, cooking, and hanging out with friends during my free time.