CS 161 - Introduction to Computer Science ɪ

Spring 2018: MWF 11 - 11:50am, LINC 228

Who Are My TAs?

Johannes Freischuetz

Hi, my name is Johannes. I am a second year student in Computer Science doing the systems option. If you have any questions send me an email.

Hannah Vaughan

Hi, I'm Hannah! I'm a second year Computer Science major in the applied option. Coding can be difficult, so I want to help you out! Whether you're heavily experienced or this is your first time learning code, understanding comes in different ways, shapes, and forms. So, feel free to reach out to me for assistance anytime! (Really, anytime!) :) In my free time, I like to crochet, play video games, explore, and learn new things. Random skills or hobbies are always cool in my book!

Fern Bostelman-Rinaldi

My name's Fern. I'm a second year CS Major with a focus on graphics. Likes: Coffee, the color yellow, hairless cats, and plants. Dislikes: Lasagna, being sunburnt, and cargo shorts. If you talk to me and mention you read this I'll bring you a free plant.

Aiden Nelson

My name is Aiden and I am a second year Computer Science student. Aside from working as a TA, I spend my time making kombucha, playing with clay at the craft center, and doing research in the robotics lab. Let me know if you have any questions, I’m always happy to help out!

Yuhang Chen (Tony)

Hello,everyone! I am Tony and I come from Beijing,China. I speak both Chinese and English. I am a sophomore computer science student and this is my third term to teach CS161. I got a staright A for CS16x classes and I am super familiar with CS161. I am talkative and outgoing,I would love to answer you any questions!

Yipeng Song (Roger)

Hi! I am Yipeng Song, and you can also call me Roger. I am a senior CS student at Oregon State doing system option as well as a math minor. I love watching sports and making new friends. I had two internships before, one at Intel Corporation, and one at a Nike agency company. In addition, I used to be the Co-president for the Chinese Association at OSU, holding events for up to 800 people. As a TA for CS16X courses, I wish I could help you be a better programmer and be more confident for your future CS classes. Besides, I am able to speak either English or Chinese during demo sessions.

Matthew Sessions

Hi everyone, I am a Linux enthusiast and a Sophomore in Computer Science Systems. This is my second term as a CS16X TA, and I look forward to seeing progression through the term. Will gladly help students with Linux as well as any of the concepts in this class. < BTW I script my own Arch disks>

This is a virtual machine image that can be used with VirtualBox, it has similar software as the flip servers, and might be usefull to those who do not have reliable internet connections. Preconfigured with a desktop environment, as well as many of the tools needed, such as g++, valgrind, terminal, and vim. Centos7 VirtualMachine

Alexander Guyer

Hey! My name's Alexander Guyer, but I go by Alex. I am a first-year CS major at OSU with an applied option, focusing on machine learning and AI. I'm really interested in both mobile and desktop applications, and I specialize in server development and database management. I'm taking CS 162 right now, and I took CS 161 last term, so this is my first term as a TA for the 16X series. Any feedback would be appreciated. Feel free to email me if you ever have any questions about computer science. Hopefully I can provide any help you need!

Ryan Alder

Hi! My name is Ryan, and I am a sophomore studying Computer Science with an applied option of network security. Feel free to email me any questions you may have.

Kyle Nichols

Hello, world! My name is Kyle. I am a fifth year student finishing my last term in the Computer Systems option. This is my fourth year TAing for 161 and 162. Besides this job, I have worked internships through MECOP at Mentor Graphics and Cambia doing a command system and database work, respectively. I like to think I am pretty approachable, so don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you have questions.

Amber Horvath

Hello! I'm Amber Horvath and I'm a fifth year computer science major working on finishing up my undergraduate degree in Computer Science with an emphasis on human-computer interaction. After graduating, I will be pursuing a PhD at Carnegie Mellon University. I've done undergraduate research at Oregon State under Dr. Margaret Burnett along with internships at Intel and HP. If you have any questions about research, internships, or just about computer science at Oregon State, please feel free to ask! I am also happy to help when it comes to CS 161, obviously. :-) Lets have a great spring term!

Mason Sidebottom

Hello, I am Mason Sidebottom. This is the second year I have been a TA for the 16X series. I spend most of my time working on projects or as a TA. Outside of computer science, I try to find time to wakeboard, snowboard, play volleyball, go fishing, and cook.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.